Make the most of your summer! When your loved one with an intellectual or other developmental disability takes part in summer programming from The Arc of East Central Iowa, they’ll enjoy fun recreational activities in a supportive, nurturing environment. The program also gives you a chance, as a caregiver, to recharge or take care of other responsibilities during the day.
Feel peace of mind the safety and well-being of your loved one are the primary focus of our trained staff. During the day, your loved one can make friends, socialize with peers in their age group, and build daily living skills on-site and on supervised trips into the community.
Beginnings Program: Up to Age 5
The Arc offers a summer respite program for individuals with intellectual or other developmental disabilities up to age 5.
- Dates: June through August
- Hours: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, 9:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m.
- Location: 1st Floor of The Arc Building – Downtown Cedar Rapids
How to Register
For more information, contact Emily Pennington at 319-365-0487 Ext. 1016 or email@example.com.
Summer Day: Ages 5 to 21
Your loved one between the ages of 5 and 21 can take part in Summer Day, a multi-week program held in Linn and Jones counties.
Your child’s daily activities may include:
- Educational exercises to build safety, reading, cooking, and daily living skills
- Social and leisure activities like swimming, games, crafts, and music
- Pre-vocational activities in the community at on-site
Linn County Summer Day
Linn County Summer Day is licensed by the Department of Human Services (DHS). It has a staff-to-participant ratio of one to three or less.
- Dates: June through July
- Hours: Monday through Friday, 9:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m.
- Location: Kennedy High School in Cedar Rapids
How to Register
Registration is open between March 1 through May 15 or until enrollment fills, whichever comes first. For more information, contact Tara Cornelius at 319-365-0487 Ext. 1044 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Download the Linn County Summer Day Registration Packet [PDF].
Jones County Summer Day
- 1st session: June
- 2nd session: July
Hours: Monday through Friday, 9:00 a.m. to 3:00 pm
- 1st session: First Presbyterian Church in Monticello
- 2nd session: St. Paul Lutheran Church in Anamosa
How to Register
Registration is open April 1 to May 15. To learn more, contact Emily Pennington at 319-365-0487 Ext. 1016 or email@example.com.
Paying for Summer Programs
Depend on The Arc for different options to pay for summer programming. Choose from:
- Respite, Intermediate Medical Monitoring Treatment (IMMT-Linn County Summer Day and Daycare) and Supported Community Living (SCL Daycare Enrichment Program only) through Home and Community Based Services (HCBS) waivers
- United Way Respite (excluding daycare enrichment program)
- Private payments, including, but not limited to: Family pay, Severe Emotional Disorder (SED) and DHS Child Care Assistance (CCA – Daycare Enrichment Program only)
- Other options
Contact Tara Cornelius at 319-365-0487, ext 1044 to learn more about summer programs.