As a volunteer for The Arc of East Central Iowa, you dedicate your time and talent to support our mission and positively impact the lives of families and individuals throughout the area.
Opportunities are available throughout the year. Your help can make a big difference.
To volunteer with The Arc, the following requirements must be met:
- All volunteers must be at least 18 years of age
- You must be able to pass the required background checks
- All forms must be completed and returned to The Arc office, including the volunteer confidentiality form [PDF]
How to Apply
Choose the volunteer opportunity that matches your interests and availability. Our hours of operation are Monday through Friday, 8:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m., unless otherwise noted. If your skills and expertise can help The Arc, we encourage you to volunteer and join our team of passionate, dedicated community representatives.
Serve as a volunteer administrative assistant for five to 10 hours weekly for at least four months. You will:
- Perform clerical tasks such as filing, photocopying, and mailing
- Assist with data entry, organizational duties and other duties as assigned
Board of Directors
Join The Arc of East Central Iowa’s Board of Directors. In this volunteer leadership role, you will:
- Actively engage in the governance of our organization
- Build community connections
- Contribute to the development of policies, procedures, and regulations for the operation of The Arc
- Monitor finances of the organization, its programs, and performance
- Serve as a voting member at board meetings
Your term on our board will start on October 1st and last for three years. If you choose to serve in an officer position during your time on the board, this role last for a year. If interested, please complete our board of directors application.
Help supervise consumers of all ages, assisting with snacks, playing games, and doing fun activities with consumers in our Daycare and Adult Enrichment Programs. Commit to volunteering five to 10 hours weekly for at least four months. Program hours are:
- Monday through Friday, 2:00 p.m. to 6:00 p.m. during the school year
- Monday through Friday, 8:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m. during the summer
Volunteer one to three hours per week for at least four months, or as needed. You will:
- Assist with landscaping (snow removal, mowing, raking, etc.)
- Do minor repairs as needed (such as fix broken locks, fill in holes in the walls, etc.)
Support our marketing team as a volunteer five to 10 hours weekly for at least four months. You will:
- Coordinate fundraising and community events
- Assist with data entry, organizational duties, and other duties as assigned
Special Event Volunteers
During the year, The Arc of East Central Iowa holds various fundraising and holiday events, such as The Arc March, Golf for a Cause, the holiday party, Easter Egg Hunt, dances, and more.
We are always needing volunteer help at these special events. Most events happen on the weekend for approximately 3 hours. As a volunteer, you’ll help us set up the events, run games and activities, serve food, and assist with other duties as assigned.
If you’re interested in volunteering at these events, you do not need to complete an application. Instead, contact Jenny Bosking at firstname.lastname@example.org or 319-365-0487 ext. 1024 to get started.
Service Enterprise Certified
The Arc of East Central Iowa is certified by Points of Light, the world’s largest organization dedicated to volunteer service, as a Service Enterprise. Achieving Service Enterprise certification means we’re one of the top 11% of nonprofits nationwide in volunteer management and organizational performance. Certification signifies we have the capability and management expertise to strategically use volunteers to improve the performance of our organization.